The Ontario Human Rights Commission and the Ontario Heritage Trust are pleased to announce an upcoming dialogue and expo on human rights in Ontario.
When: Thursday, October 18, 2012
Dialogue and expo: 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (registration begins at 8:30 a.m.)
Where: Hart House – 7 Hart House Circle, Toronto
What: Dialogue and expo event, examining historical and current human rights issues in Ontario
Please join us on October 18 to take part in a dialogue and expo celebrating human rights in Ontario. The Trust and the Ontario Human Rights Commission are bringing together leading groups, organizations and individuals committed to human rights for a dialogue about the past, present and future of human rights in Ontario.
Confirmed speakers include:
- Bromley Armstrong – Longtime labour activist and former Commissioner, Ontario Human Rights Commission
- Mary Cornish – Human rights lawyer and chair of 1992 taskforce that produced “Achieving Equality: A Report on Human Rights Reform”
- Barbara Hall – Chief Commissioner, Ontario Human Rights Commission
- Aidan Johnson – Lawyer, Legal Aid Ontario, specializing in Charter of Rights and Freedoms issues and transgender rights
- David Lepofsky – Lawyer, specializing in constitutional and human rights law
- Lali Mohammed – Diversity and equity activist
- David Rayside – Professor, University of Toronto
- Uzma Shakir – Director, Diversity and Human Rights Division, City of Toronto
- Dr. Thomas H.B. Symons – Chairman, Ontario Heritage Trust, former Chairman of the Ontario Human Rights Commission and contributor to “Life Together: A Report on Human Rights in Ontario”
Expert speakers will discuss various human rights issues, panel discussions will provide a dynamic forum for further dialogue, and an expo will enable attendees to interact with human rights organizations. The day’s activities will focus on how leaders in the field have created change, and will provide insight into the future of human rights, as seen by those who are front-line agents of change. In the coming weeks, we will announce names of participating event speakers. Bookmark this page and visit for updated information.
A free lunch will be provided at the event, and will accommodate vegetarian, dairy-free vegetarian, wheat-free and nut-free options. If you have a dietary restriction, please let us know in the Dietary restrictions section of the registration form.
Please let us know if you require any Code-related accommodation.
For more information, email or call us at 416-314-0448.
To attend the dialogue and expo portion of this event, you must register at http://www.heritagetrust.on.ca/dialogue.aspx.
Registration will close on Thursday, October 11 at midnight.