Receipt of public assistance
In housing, the Code protects tenants against discrimination based on receipt of public assistance. “Public assistance” – more commonly referred to as social assistance – includes Ontario Works, OSAP, ODSP, Old Age Security, Employment Insurance, etc.
Some housing providers have negative attitudes towards people who are poor. They may take several steps that could contravene the Code, such as:
- screen out prospective tenants based on stereotypes about poverty and poor people
- impose illegal rental criteria (such as security deposits)
- provide substandard housing-related services
- harass tenants
- be more quick to try to evict.
- Check if your spelling is correct, or try removing filters.
- Remove quotes around phrases to match each word individually: "blue drop" will match less than blue drop.
- You can require or exclude terms using + and -: big +blue drop will require a match on blue while big blue -drop will exclude results that contain drop.